Versions of Yahoo Messenger released prior to 3 December 2015 are no longer supported. Please upgrade to the new Yahoo Messenger. If you are using a version of Yahoo Messenger released prior to 3 December 2015, the privacy module below is applicable.
If you are using a version of Yahoo Messenger released on or after 3 December 2015, click here to view the applicable privacy module.
Introducing Message History for Yahoo Messenger.
Yahoo Messenger for the Web (beta) has just launched and includes an exciting new feature: Message History. The feature, which is available in select versions of the product, saves IM conversations from your Yahoo account onto our Yahoo servers.
You can now access and search your message history from any computer -- just like email. Whether or not you use this feature, your IM friends can also use it to save conversations together into their Yahoo accounts.
Yahoo Messenger allows you to exchange instant messages, send and receive webcam video, and make PC-to-PC voice calls with your online friends. You must be a registered Yahoo user in order to use Yahoo Messenger. Yahoo Messenger establishes a connection to the Internet when it is active -- much like a browser does -- in order for communications to be received and transmitted.
Information Collection and Use Practices and Your Ability to Update or Delete Information
- Yahoo Messenger automatically checks for updates to Yahoo software.
- You can establish a messenger list within Messenger and be added as a friend to other user’s messenger lists.
- By default, your online status, display image and nickname will be visible to other Messenger users who you instant message with or who have you on their messenger list
- You can choose to appear offline by signing in as “invisible”.
- You can selectively appear online or offline to specific friends or groups of friends on Messenger using the Stealth Settings option.
- You can choose to appear offline and block a user from sending you messages using the “ignore” option.
- You have certain choices about whether to add friends, be added as a friend, or ignore other members. Adding someone to your ignore list will also ignore PC-to-PC calls and related voice messages from that person.
- By default any other member using Messenger may send you PC-to-PC calls. You can change your preferences so that you only receive calls from members on your friends list.
- Yahoo allows users to save and/or print messages so that they may retain records of their instant messaging communications.
- By default, Yahoo Messenger will archive your message history for the current session, until you sign out. When that session ends, the message archive will be deleted.
- To change your archiving preferences in Messenger, choose Messenger > Preferences > Archive.
- Changing your archiving preferences does not clear your current archive. For example, if you previously archived all messages indefinitely and change your preference to save messages until you sign out, then you will need to press the Clear Archive Now button for your previous archive to be cleared or you may delete archived messages individually by selecting the message, and clicking on “Delete”. However, this does not delete any of your messages saved by other users..
- Please be aware that even if you choose not to save your message history, members you correspond with may opt to use the functionality available in their version of Messenger to save the communications. Also note that some versions of Yahoo Messenger allow other users to save their conversations with you to their account on Yahoo servers, just like email.
- Yahoo does not save PC-to-PC calls and other voice communications that go through our servers however the voice mails you record for other members are stored on Yahoo servers. Yahoo's practice is to not use the content of those voice mail messages.
- Messenger stores a PC-to-PC call history on your computer.
- Messenger gives you the opportunity to report instant messages you receive as spam. If you choose to report spam, Yahoo will be sent information about the conversation including the Yahoo ID of the member being reported, text of the conversation, and your Yahoo ID.
- Messenger automatically identifies phone numbers and email addresses included in messages so you can quickly save them to your Yahoo Address Book or take other actions, such as sending an email. This is a function carried out by the Messenger client on your computer and is not done by Yahoo servers. However, your Yahoo Address Book is saved on Yahoo servers.
- When you invite someone to use Messenger using our form (as opposed to add someone as a friend to your friend list), you will need to provide that person's email address and a message (optional). Information collected on that form will only be used to send an email on your behalf and will not be used for any marketing purposes.
Information Sharing and Disclosure Practices
- PC-to-PC calls go through Yahoo servers or use peer-to-peer connections. When you place a call, Yahoo may record usage information, including frequency of use and call duration. In addition, Yahoo may use aggregate usage information for future product enhancements and for research purposes.
- By using Messenger, you may choose to make some of your personal information public or you may choose to share some of your personal information with others.
- If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
- Messenger sometimes uses a peer-to-peer connection during its operation, including times when you may be using it for instant messaging (text conversations), file sharing, PC-to-PC calling and webcam streaming. Peer-to-peer means that your computer connects directly to the other user's computer in the conversation without needing to go through Yahoo servers. As such, your IP address is available to users you share a peer-to-peer connection with.
Practices Regarding Your Ability to Update or Delete Information
- You can edit your Messenger settings and preferences through the Messenger menu.
- You can review and delete the PC-to-PC call history or PC-to-PC voice messages in Messenger by choosing Contacts > Voice Messages & Call History.
- When you use Yahoo Messenger, you are subject to the Yahoo Terms of Service and to the Yahoo Community Guidelines.
- Please see Yahoo Messenger Help if you have questions about this service.
Prefer not to receive advertising based on your interests? Learn about your ability to opt-out of interest-matched advertising served by Yahoo.