Yahoo displays ads both on our owned and operated sites and apps (those with Yahoo branding as well as those with separate branding) and on non-Yahoo sites and apps. Yahoo serves display ads, also known as graphical ads, which appear as images, animation or video. Yahoo also serves text ads that appear as text links. Yahoo’s advertising platforms provide the means for advertisers, agencies, publishers and ad networks to manage their advertising business.
When you visit Yahoo sites and apps or non-Yahoo sites and apps where Yahoo may serve ads, ads that you see may be suggested by Yahoo based on various factors such as the content of the site or app on which they appear, information you provide such as your gender, age or location, searches you conduct, what your friends or contacts recommend to you, apps on the device, or based on your other interests. Yahoo may use information you provide, including personally identifiable information, to tailor ads when you use our sites and apps or one of our services. Yahoo may also analyze your use of our products and services and your engagement with the ads we show you.
- Ads served by Yahoo may be customized to reflect your interests. To do this, Yahoo may consider browsing activity, including the type of content accessed, ads clicked, and searches conducted or on related terms. Yahoo may also use information about the ads you have seen and clicked on to improve the effectiveness of our advertising platforms.
- When showing you ads on a search results page, information about your browsing behavior and your search query may be used to display more relevant ads. For more information about how your search queries may be used to display more relevant ads, visit the Yahoo Search privacy page.
- Yahoo’s automated systems analyze all communications content to match and serve targeted advertising.
- Yahoo may display ads based on relevant content. For instance, if you are viewing a Yahoo news article about a recently released album, Yahoo may show you an ad for a music store that sells albums. Similarly, ads in Yahoo Finance may be related to financial services.
- Yahoo may also tailor ads based on location. For more information about how Yahoo uses location information, please visit our Yahoo Location privacy page.
- Yahoo may use information you provide, such as your gender, age or job category, to tailor ads when you are logged in or if you have stored this information with a Yahoo service. Yahoo may also use this information, including personally identifiable information, to tailor ads when you are using our sites and apps or one of our services.
- Yahoo may tailor ads to you based on people you have connected with and their demonstrated or declared interests.
- Yahoo does not provide any personally identifiable information to an advertiser, site, or app when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad you should be aware that the advertiser may make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Yahoo uses tools called cookies and web beacons in the ad serving process. Click each link to learn more.
Transparency, Choice and Opt-out
- You can control Yahoo’s use of information for ad selection. Yahoo offers you the following choices with regard to interest-based advertising:
- Please visit Ad Interest Manager to learn more about the information used to personalize your ad experience and your choices regarding how we use information about these activities to influence the ads we show you. If you opt-out, you will continue to see ads Yahoo serves, but they won’t be customized to your interests or search history.
- You can see and, in many cases, opt-out of, receiving targeted ads from other companies that serve ads on Yahoo by visiting our Third Parties on Yahoo page.
- You can edit your Yahoo account information, that may be used to select ads, at any time.
- Yahoo is also a member of multiple, regional self regulatory bodies and adheres to their principles for online behavioral advertising. While distinct, these entities are all cooperatives of companies committed to building responsible advertising policies across the Internet.
- US: Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) - Learn more about its code of conduct or opt-out from any of its member companies.
- US: Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) - Learn more about its principles or opt-out from any of its member companies.
- Europe: European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) - Learn more about its principles, or opt-out from any of its member companies.
- Canada: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) - Learn more about its principles, or opt-out from any of its member companies.
- Australia: Australian Digital Advertising Alliance (ADAA) - Learn more about its principles or opt-out from any of its member companies.
- New Zealand: Interactive Advertising Bureau of New Zealand (IAB) - Learn more about its principles.
QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS
If you have questions, suggestions, or complaints, please complete a feedback form or you can contact us at:
701 First Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94089