Welcome to the Yahoo Brand Permissions policy page. This page is designed to provide guidance on the use of Yahoo’s trademarks, logos, trade dress, web pages, screen shots, copyrighted designs, original content, or other brand features (“Yahoo Brand Features”). If you still have questions after reading through our guidelines, please complete and submit a formal request via our online form.
We appreciate receiving requests that are enthusiastic about and embrace Yahoo’s brand, but unfortunately, we cannot accommodate each request. Keep in mind that Yahoo Brand Features are protected by applicable trademark, copyright and other intellectual property laws in the U.S. and other countries. Although we support and encourage ideas, services, tools and other creative works that use and supplement Yahoo Brand Features, we’re required to protect our reputation and brand identity.
On that point, if there is express language on our website stating that you can use particular Yahoo Brand Features, advance written permission is not necessary. In all other cases, you must first contact us to obtain written permission. By using Yahoo Brand Features you agree to follow these guidelines and our Terms, and, in situations where Yahoo provided express permission, any terms associated with that permission. Yahoo reserves the right to cancel, modify, or change any permissive uses under these guidelines at any time at its sole discretion.
A Few Things First
Check out Yahoo’s list of trademarks here.
If you are a Yahoo partner and have a question about using Yahoo Brand Features under your agreement, please contact your Yahoo business partner.
If you’ve found a website that uses a Yahoo Brand Feature inappropriately, we’d like to hear about it, please report it here.
General Usage Guidelines
- Use Yahoo Brand Features to refer to Yahoo, our services and websites, our apps and anything else we offer.
- Use Yahoo’s trademarks only as an adjective and never as a noun or verb.
- Provide a reference to Yahoo as the source whenever and wherever possible.
- Provide ample clear space around the Yahoo Brand Features to allow them room to breathe in any given environment.
- Modify or alter Yahoo Brand Features in any way, such as changing the color or design of our logos, app icons, or screen shots.
- Incorporate Yahoo’s trademark or variants of Yahoo’s trademarks in domain names, social media accounts, corporate names, or app names, unless we have given express permission.
- Use Yahoo Brand Features in a way that suggests an affiliation, partnership, sponsorship or endorsement by or with Yahoo.
- Include Yahoo Brand Features in editorial content that suggests it’s been authored by, or represents the views or opinions of, Yahoo or any Yahoo personnel or affiliate.
- Present Yahoo Brand Features in a manner that is misleading, defamatory, libelous, obscene, infringing or otherwise objectionable.
- Use Yahoo Brand Features on material that infringes the trademark, copyright or any other rights of any third party.
- Combine Yahoo Brand Features as part of a name of a product or service.
- Infringe, derogate, dilute, or impair the rights of Yahoo in the Yahoo Brand Features.
Specific Usage Guidelines
Yahoo and Flickr Logos
We generally do not approve the use of our Yahoo and Flickr logos in third-party marketing materials. This includes online and offline advertising collateral such as:
- Case studies
- Client and referral lists
- Sales presentations
- Print, broadcast, outdoor or online ads
- Product demos
- Trade show booths
If you are seeking permission to use the Flickr logo to share your own Flickr account, head over to the Flickr Goodies page to grab a badge for your website.
Screenshots and Yahoo Finance charts
We generally approve the use of our screenshots (e.g., Yahoo homepage, search results, Flickr screenshot) and Yahoo Finance charts for instructional or illustrative purposes. You don’t need our permission to use our screenshots and charts, so long as you don’t modify the content or format. Keep in mind our permission does not cover content from third parties (e.g., advertising banners, news stories, stock quotes, maps); we suggest you seek permission from those parties or consider whether your use meets a legal exception. This also applies to photos and/or images that are captured in Flickr screenshots (see Flickr Images below). You may resize the screenshots to accommodate publication. We also ask that you attribute Yahoo and the specific Yahoo property (e.g., Yahoo Finance, Yahoo Sports, Yahoo Travel, Flickr) in connection with your use.
Photos and/or images found on Flickr are the property of the users that posted them. To obtain permission, you must contact the user. From the photo’s page on Flickr’s website, locate and expand the “Additional info” section, where you can click the link labeled “Request to license.” If you are not able to locate the “Request to license” link, you need to contact the photographer of the image directly to secure permission and you must be a member of Flickr to do so. From the Flickr user’s profile page, click the drop-down menu (displayed as an ellipsis), and select “Send Flickr Mail” to contact the user.
Articles and Videos found on Yahoo Network
Some of the articles and videos found on Yahoo are licensed to us by various content providers, so please do not assume you can reuse them. Instead, please submit a request via our online form so that we can properly process your request.
Commercial, TV or Film
If you would like to use Yahoo Brand Features in a commercial, TV, or film, please submit a request via our online form and remember to include the following information:
- Synopsis of the production
- Description of how Yahoo Brand Features will be used
- Relevant production script pages and scene number(s) in which Yahoo Brand Features will be used
- Visual mock-ups or screenshots of how you intend to present Yahoo Brand Features
Yahoo doesn’t permit the use of our Brand Features on merchandise or manufactured items. If you’d like to purchase official Yahoo merchandise, check out our online company store.
Yahoo reserves the right to change the appearance of the Yahoo Brand Features at any time without notice. Any use of the Yahoo Brand Features shall inure to the benefit of Yahoo. By using the Brand Features pursuant to Yahoo's approval, you acknowledge Yahoo's ownership of all Brand Features and warrant that you will not take any action which is inconsistent with Yahoo's ownership.