Beacons & SDKs
Sites, apps, and HTML emails may contain a small snippet of code called a beacon or in mobile apps may be referred to as an SDK or Software Development Kit. In their simplest form, beacons and SDKs allow a site or app to transfer or collect information through a server request. Sites and apps may use beacons, SDKs, and cookies for many purposes, including site usage analytics, advertising auditing and reporting, and content and advertising personalization.
Yahoo’s Practices Regarding Beacons & SDKs
Yahoo may collect information through beacons and SDKs on or off of Yahoo sites and app about your browsing activities, such as the site or app you are visiting, the address of the referrer page for the site you previously visited, the time you are visiting the site or app, your browsing environment and your display settings. We may use the information we collect through beacons and SDKs:
- To understand traffic patterns and how you use and interact with products and services.
- To improve Yahoo products and services.
- To optimize your browsing experience.
- To provide anonymous individual and/or aggregated auditing, research, modeling and reporting for our advertisers and other partners. No personally identifiable information about you is shared with our advertisers and other partners as part of these services.
- To offer Yahoo Analytics, including Flurry from Yahoo.
- To provide you relevant advertising and content.
Your Choices Regarding Yahoo’s Use of Beacons & SDKs
- If you would rather not receive interest-based advertising provided by Yahoo, please visit our Ad Interest Manager.
- You can visit these regionally based self-regulatory bodies to see other companies that offer opt outs and to use other tools to manage your opt-out choices:
Other Companies’ Beacons & SDKs on Yahoo
- Some Third Parties may have technology enabling them to act as "containers" for additional beacons, typically these are called a piggyback beacons. Yahoo may not always be aware of these piggyback beacons, however, you can check what beacons exist on a webpage using privacy tools.
MANAGE INTEREST-BASED ADSTo help make your experiences with Yahoo more relevant, we employ interest-based ads. Manage your interest-based categories, or opt-out of all categories, on our opt-out tool.
Prefer not to receive advertising based on your interests? Learn about your ability to opt out of interest-matched advertising served by Yahoo.