Yahoo may set and read cookies and device identifiers for your web browser as you visit our websites, use our products or visit a website where Yahoo provides ads, content or analytics. A cookie is a small piece of information that is stored on a computer for the purpose of identifying that browser during interaction on websites. Device identifiers are assembled from available system elements which could include IP address, user agent information (browser version, OS type and version), or device-generated identifiers such as Apple's ID for Advertisers or Google's Android Ad ID. Cookies and similar technologies may be used to remember items such as identifiers and user preferences. A website may set a cookie to the browser if the browser's preferences allow it. A browser only permits a website to access the cookies it has set, not those set by other websites.
Yahoo's Practices Regarding Cookies and Similar Technologies
- Access your information when you "sign in" so we can provide you with customized content or remember the last page you visited in a Yahoo product or service.
- Information that Yahoo collects related to your activities and interests is maintained by Yahoo on its servers and is associated with Yahoo cookies and similar technologies. You can learn more about Yahoo's data retention and storage practices here.
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using Yahoo products or services.
- When you log in to your Yahoo account, a cookie and/or device ID that links to information about your interests is placed on the computer or device you are using. This allows Yahoo to associate your interests and activity if you log in to your Yahoo account on multiple devices. This means that your browsing habits on your work computer or a library computer, when logged in, can inform your experience on Yahoo when using your home computer when logged in.
- Deliver advertisements and content relevant to your interests.
- Yahoo collects and maintains information about your interests based on your websurfing activity when you are visiting the branded Yahoo network of websites, websites within the Yahoo Network, as well as other non-Yahoo web sites that we partner with.
- Yahoo may use web beacons to collect and maintain information about your websurfing activity when you are visiting the branded Yahoo network of websites as well as other non-Yahoo websites.
- Provide general internal and customer analytics.
- Yahoo Analytics is a system used to collect information about visitors to our customers' websites.
- Maintain information in both identifiable and anonymous forms.
- When you are signed-in to your Yahoo account, Yahoo associates your observed interests and activities with your Yahoo account using a process that keeps your personal information and your browsing information separate.
- If you are a registered Yahoo user who is not signed-in, Yahoo stores information about your interests based on a browser cookie ID. This cookie ID is an encrypted (or “one-way secret hashed”) form of a Yahoo cookie that is separate from your Yahoo account information and also includes the age (in whole years), gender, and location provided when you created your Yahoo account. Your device ID may be associated with this cookie ID for each device that you log into. This cookie is not used by any party, including Yahoo, to personally identify you.
- Conduct research to improve Yahoo's content, products and services.
- To support security measures, such as requiring re-logging into a Yahoo product or service after a certain amount of time has elapsed.
- To assist in identifying possible fraudulent activities.
Choices about Cookies and Similar Technologies
- To see and/or customize the interests assigned to your browser that we use for customized advertising and content, you can visit our Ad Interest Manager. Ad Interest Manager allows you to opt-out of one or more specific interest categories or opt-out of all interest-based ads and content that Yahoo serves.
- Yahoo offers you the ability to make your opt-out choice persistent. To use the persistent opt-out, you will need to sign-in to Yahoo before you exercise your opt-out choice.
- You may configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set. Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
- Most mobile operating systems provide you an option in the device settings to limit ad tracking associated with the device ID they may share with us. Please reference your mobile operating system's help center to learn more.
- Once you log into Yahoo on your device, Yahoo may recognize your device to provide you with a personalized experience (even if you log out), independent of your device settings. Your device's privacy settings may not provide you with full control over your privacy but you can control Yahoo ad targeting and personalization through our Ad Interest Manager. To opt out of Yahoo personalization, please visit the Yahoo Ad Interest Manager to configure your settings directly with Yahoo.
- The Adobe Flash Player is an application and web tool that allows rapid development of dynamic content. Flash (and similar applications) use technology to remember settings, preferences and usage similar to browser cookies but these are managed through a different interface than the one provided by your web browser.
- Yahoo employs Adobe Flash cookies in compliance with Network Advertising Initiative standards. Yahoo employs Adobe Flash cookies in certain situations where we use Flash to provide some content such as video clips or animation. You may access your Flash management tools from Adobe's web site directly. Yahoo does not use Flash cookies to serve interest-based advertising.
- If you reject all cookies, you may not be able to use Yahoo products or services that require you to "sign in," and you may not be able to take full advantage of all offerings.
- You can visit the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance to see other companies that offer opt outs and to use other tools to manage your opt-out choices.
Other Companies' Cookies on Yahoo
We have detailed reference links describing our privacy practices for a wide range of Yahoo products and services. Find them here.
By bringing content and advertising to you that is relevant and tailored to your interests, Yahoo provides a more compelling online experience. Our customized "smart" services save you time and cut through the clutter. Learn More about relevant advertising.
Prefer not to receive advertising based on your interests? You can opt out of interest-matched advertising on Yahoo