Yahoo displays ads both on sites and apps owned and operated by us (those with Yahoo branding, as well as those with separate branding), and on non-Yahoo sites and apps. Yahoo serves display ads, also known as graphical ads, which appear as images, animation or video. Yahoo also serves text ads that appear as text links. Yahoo’s advertising platforms provide the means for advertisers, agencies, publishers and ad networks to manage their advertising business.
When you visit Yahoo sites and apps or non-Yahoo sites and apps where Yahoo may serve ads, ads that you see may be suggested by Yahoo based on various factors, such as the content of the site or app on which they appear, information that you provide, such as your gender, age or location, searches that you conduct, what your friends or contacts recommend to you, apps on the device, or based on your other interests. Yahoo may use information that you provide, including personally identifiable information, to tailor ads when you use our sites and apps or one of our services. Yahoo may also analyse your use of our products and services, and your engagement with the ads that we show you.
- Ads served by Yahoo may be customised to reflect your interests. To do this, Yahoo may consider browsing activity, including the type of content accessed, ads clicked and searches conducted, or on related terms. Yahoo may also use information about the ads that you have seen and clicked to improve the effectiveness of our advertising platforms.
- When showing you ads on a search results page, information about your browsing behaviour and your search query may be used to display more relevant ads. For more information about how your search queries may be used to display more relevant ads, visit the Yahoo Search privacy page.
- Yahoo’s automated systems analyse all communications content to match and serve targeted advertising.
- Yahoo may display ads based on relevant content. For instance, if you are viewing a Yahoo news article about a recently released album, Yahoo may show you an ad for a music shop that sells albums. Similarly, ads in Yahoo Finance may be related to financial services.
- Yahoo may also tailor ads based on location. For more information about how Yahoo uses location information, please visit our Yahoo Location privacy page.
- Yahoo may use information that you provide, such as your gender, age or job category, to tailor ads when you are logged in or if you have stored this information with a Yahoo service. Yahoo may also use this information, including personally identifiable information, to tailor ads when you are using our sites and apps or one of our services.
- Yahoo may tailor ads to you based on people you have connected with and their demonstrated or declared interests.
- Yahoo does not provide any personally identifiable information to an advertiser, site or app when you interact with or view a targeted ad. However, by interacting with or viewing an ad, you should be aware that the advertiser may make the assumption that you meet the targeting criteria used to display the ad.
- Yahoo uses tools called cookies and web beacons in the ad-serving process. Click each link to learn more.
Transparency, choice and opting out
- You can control Yahoo’s use of information for ad selection. Yahoo offers you the following choices with regard to interest-based advertising:
- Please visit the Ad Interest Manager to learn more about the information used to personalise your ad experience and your choices regarding how we use information about these activities to influence the ads shown to you. If you opt out, you will continue to see ads served by Yahoo, but they won’t be customised to your interests or search history.
- You can see and, in many cases, opt out of receiving targeted ads from other companies that serve ads on Yahoo by visiting our Third parties on Yahoo page.
- You can edit your Yahoo account information, which may be used to select ads, at any time.
- Yahoo is also a member of several regional self regulatory bodies and adheres to their principles for online behavioural advertising. While distinct, these entities are all cooperatives of companies committed to building responsible advertising policies across the Internet.
- US: Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) - Learn more about its code of conduct, or opt out of any of its member companies.
- US: Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) - Learn more about its principles, or opt out of any of its member companies.
- Europe: European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) - Learn more about its principles, or opt out of any of its member companies.
- Canada: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) - Learn more about its principles, or opt out of any of its member companies.
- Australia: Australian Digital Advertising Alliance (ADAA) - Learn more about its principles, or opt out of any of its member companies.
- New Zealand: Interactive Advertising Bureau of New Zealand (IAB) - Learn more about its principles.
QUESTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS
If you have questions, suggestions or complaints, please complete a feedback form, or you can contact us at:
Yahoo! EMEA Limited
5-7 Point Village
North Wall Quay
We have detailed reference links describing our privacy practices for a wide range of Yahoo products and services. Find them here.