Data Storage and Anonymisation
In order to provide products and services, Yahoo7 collects and stores information from user account registration and site usage. We generally refer to the information that we collect in connection with site usage as “user log data”.
Yahoo7’s policy is to de-identify search user log data within 18 months of collection, with limited exceptions to meet legal obligations.
In addition to the other purposes for which we collect information, other types of log data (that is, not relating to search, such as ad views, ad clicks, page views and page clicks) are retained for a longer period in order to power innovative product development, provide personalized and customised services, and better enable our security systems to detect and defend against fraudulent activity. Yahoo7 takes additional steps so that data collected and used to customise interest based advertising (along with some content) on Yahoo7 are not associated with personally identifiable information. We describe the data we store, and our processes in more detail here.
- When you register with Yahoo7 or submit information to Yahoo7, a temporary copy of that information is routinely made to prevent accidental loss of your information through a computer malfunction or human error.
- Yahoo7 keeps your account information active in our user registration databases in order to provide immediate access to your personalisation preferences each time you visit Yahoo7.
- If you ask Yahoo7 to delete your Yahoo7 account, in most cases your account will be deactivated and then deleted from our user registration database in approximately 90 days. This delay is necessary to discourage users from engaging in fraudulent activity.
- Please note that any information that we have copied may remain in back-up storage for some period of time after your deletion request. This may be the case even though no account information remains in our active user databases.
Servers Log Files
- The Yahoo7 computers (called "servers") that send your web pages and advertising banners process and store an enormous amount of information every day. These computer records are called “log files”.
- Log files are used for analysis, research, auditing, and other purposes, as described above. After this information has been used, it is stored and is inaccessible. Until the information is stored, your Yahoo7 ID may remain in our active server log files.
- Anonymisation is a process of removing or replacing personal identifiers in data records so that the resulting data is no longer personally identifiable. This is also referred to as de-identification. We use these terms interchangeably.
- Yahoo7 uses a multi-step process to replace, truncate, or delete identifiers in order to de-identify data. We are committed to continuous improvements and implementation of our data protection and de-identification measures.
- Yahoo7’s anonymisation policy applies only to search log data.
- Yahoo7 stores this data in an identifiable form for up to 18 months.
- IP addresses within search user log data will be anonymised or deleted within 6 months from the time of collection.
OPT-OUTPrefer not to receive advertising based on your interests? Learn about your ability to opt out of interest-matched advertising served by Yahoo.
We have detailed reference links describing our privacy practices for a wide range of Yahoo7 products and services.
Visit the Yahoo Policy Blog